When I first started tumbling into the pit of depression, I tried to break my fall by creating a lie journal. Every time I caught myself believing a lie Satan was trying to sell me, I would write it down and search for scriptures that proved him wrong. I’m glad that I did this. Even though it didn’t keep me out of the pit completely, it slowed my roll. Now that I’m back on solid ground again, I’m going to revisit my lie journal. It will be hard to look at the lies I believed but a good reminder of how much better I am now . I suspect the lies I believed were not unique to me. I’m sure that crafty little devil (pun intended) has used them on many others. Maybe even you. So, I decided to revisit my lie journal in a series called “Pants on Fire”. Every Saturday I will feature one lie, and its Biblical rebuttal.
These are the lies I recorded in my journal:
- I am unloved and unlovable
- I am unappreciated
- I am stupid/crazy/a pest
- I am poison. I damage everyone I touch
- I am betraying and harming my children. I am a bad mother
- I am a bad wife
- I am the glue that holds my family together. Their survival depends on me
- I am responsible for other people’s happiness
- I am a failure and always will be. I’ve made a mess of my life
- I am not good enough at anything I try to do. I can’t do this.
- I am meant to live alone
Let’s just start at the top of the list.
The devil tried to convince me that I am unloved and unlovable. Here’s what the Bible says about that.
- John 15:9 – As the father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.
Jesus loves me as much as God loves him. I am loved!
- Romans 5:8 – But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
- Ephesians 2:4-5 – But because of his great love for us, God who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions.
- John 3:16 – For god so loved the world that he gave his only son, so that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Despite my sins, failures, mistakes, and short comings God loves me enough to have sacrificed his son. His love is unconditional!
- Ephesians 1:4-5 – For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons.
- Isaiah 41:9 – I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners. I called you. I said, “You are my servant. I have chosen you and have not rejected you.”
God loves me so much that he sought after me. He chose me. He adopted me as his child. He loves me. He wants me!
There are many, many more scriptures that tell us we are loved. These are just the ones I entered into my journal.. If you are feeling unloved or unlovable, I challenge you to search for more and read them until you believe them. I’ll see you next Saturday for another edition of Pants on Fire, when we will take a closer look at the lie of being unappreciated.
Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. ~ 1 Peter 5:8
More in this series